Erectile dysfunction doesn’t have to be a part of getting older. It’s true that as you get older, you may need more stimulation (such as stroking and touching) to get an erection. You might also need more time between erections. But there’s no reason why older men should not be able to get an erection and enjoy sex.
Erectile dysfunction is very common. Although it tends to be more common in the over 40-year-old age group, it can affect men of all ages. Studies have shown that:
– 52% of all men between the ages of 40 and 70 have some degree of erectile dysfunction.
– At least one in ten men cannot get an erection at all (referred to as “complete erectile dysfunction”).
– The majority of causes of erectile dysfunction are physical in nature.
– There is a strong association between age and ED: 39% of men at the age of 40 and 67% at the age of 70 are affected by minimal, moderate or complete ED.
The most common physical causes of old age erectile dysfunctions are:
– Alcohol, tobacco and drug use
– Brain or spinal-cord injuries
– Hypogonadism (which leads to lower testosterone levels)
– Liver or kidney failure
– Multiple sclerosis
– Parkinson’s disease
– Radiation therapy to the testicles
– Some types of prostate or bladder surgery
– High blood pressure
– High blood sugar
– Hardening of the arteries
There is also the possibility that your erectile problems are cause by some medicine you are using. In this case your physician may be able to change your medication.
Psychological issues that can lead to erectile dysfunction:
– Feeling nervous about sex, perhaps because of a bad experience or because of a previous episode of impotence
– Feeling stressed, including stress from work or family situations
– Being troubled by problems in your relationship with your sex partner
– Feeling depressed
– Feeling so self-conscious that you can’t enjoy sex
– Thinking that your partner is reacting negatively to you
If you decide to seek therapy, it will probably be most effective if your sex partner is included. Couples can learn new ways to please one another and to show affection. This can reduce anxiety about having erections.
Today you have the option of a host of new erectile dysfunction treatments, so seek help right away. You can start by talking to your doctor or your therapist or you can seek alternative treatments for penile impotence.
You can find a lot of educational and support web sites on the Internet where you can learn a lot about your condition and what’s causing it and you can talk and find support from people just like you. The Internet is the place to start your research into alternative treatments.
Unfortunately, it is also the place where you will find an amazing number of web sites chocked-full with unsupported claims for wonder cures that can treat your penile dysfunctions in 30 days or less. Herbal remedies for erectile dysfunctions have been around for a number of years and they will still be around for a long time.
Herbal remedies do not have to pass any clinical tests and the marketers can make any claims whatsoever. They do nothing more than to publish their opinions and their customers’ opinions on the products they market.
Just make sure you won’t be suckered into spending hundreds of dollars on worthless vitamins and plant extracts that you can buy at any drug store for a couple of bucks.